Emergency service officials are advising everyone to stay home, as many roads are flooded or washed out. As a precaution, avoid driving a vehicle into areas where the water covers the roadway as flood waters are usually deeper than they appear. One foot of flowing water is powerful enough to sweep vehicles off the road.
Parts of Thornton have experienced the worst flooding in the Denver metro area, resulting in road closures and lane closures. The city of Thornton is advising drivers to steer clear of the flooded areas.
Below is a list of full road closures and temporary lane closures/lane flooding:
Full road closures;
1) York Street from E470 to 156th Avenue
2) 128th Avenue from Valentia Street to Riverdale Road at Branter Gulch
3) 144th Avenue from Washington Street to York Street
Temporary lane closures/lane flooding:
1) Northbound Colorado Boulevard: 140th Avenue to 144th Avenue and the 144th Avenue and Colorado Boulevard intersection
2) Holly Street: 111th Avenue to 114th Avenue with several manholes blown off from surcharge.
3) Southbound Colorado Boulevard south of 120th Avenue
4) Thornton Parkway: Welby Road to Colorado Boulevard
5) Southbound Colorado Boulevard south of Thornton Parkway
6) Eastbound 120th Avenue: Fairfax Street to Holly Street
7) Thornton Parkway east of Riverdale Road
Check back for updates on road conditions and storm damage.