Five area baseball teams captured regional playoff titles on May 13 and will begin play May 19 in the Class 5A double-elimination state tournament.
• Host Cherry Creek downed Chatfield, 9-1,and shut out ThunderRidge, 3-0, to win the Region 1 tournament. Quentin Parr hurled a complete game 3-hitter against ThunderRidge.
• Legacy captured the Region 2 title with a 3-2 win over Mullen and a 12-5 victory over Brighton. In the two wins, senior DJ Daugherty went 4-for-5, scored four runs and had five RBIs.
• Rock Canyon came out on top in the Region 4 tourney. The Jaguars beat Grand Junction, 8-1, and then tripped Continental League rival Heritage, 13-6 in the title game. Matt Given earned a pitching win, and in the two games, he was 4-for-5 with four RBIs, with a home run and a triple.
• Legend hosted the Region 5 tournament and shut out Pomona, 10-0, before whipping Grand Junction Central ,13-3, in the title contest. In the game against Grand Junction Central, Joey Rambisz hit a homer and went 2-for-2 with three RBIs.
• Mountain Vista edged Coronado, 8-7, and then blanked Ralston Valley, 2-0, to capture the Region 7 tournament.
Valor Christian and Golden will be playing in the Class 4A double-elimination portion of the state tournament.
The Eagles beat Eagle Valley 10-0 and then eliminated Ponderosa, 12-2 in the Region 7 title game.
In the Region 2 tourney, Golden topped Canon City, 10-3, and rallied in the bottom of the seventh to edge Longmont, 11-9. Ethan Whitson had four hits and scored three runs for the Demons in the title game.
Defending Class 3A state champion Faith Christian kept alive its chances for a repeat by defeating University, 3-2, to win the Quadrant D tournament and advance to the state tournament. Michael Gubanich went 2-for-2 with an RBI against University.