Three infected, two hospitalized after E. coli outbreak

Staff Report
Posted 7/12/19
Three cases of E. coli reported at a 146th Avenue Red Robin in Westminster shuttered the restaurant July 10, according to Tri-County Health. A subsequent inspection of the restaurant found several …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Username
Password
Log in

Don't have an ID?


Print subscribers

If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.

Non-subscribers

Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.

If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites


Our print publications are advertiser supported. For those wishing to access our content online, we have implemented a small charge so we may continue to provide our valued readers and community with unique, high quality local content. Thank you for supporting your local newspaper.

Three infected, two hospitalized after E. coli outbreak

Posted

Three cases of E. coli reported at a 146th Avenue Red Robin in Westminster shuttered the restaurant July 10, according to Tri-County Health.

A subsequent inspection of the restaurant found several food safety violations severe enough that the restaurant operators voluntarily closed the store while it was sanitized and food-handling employees were tested and trained in food safety, according to a Tri-County Health Department press release.

Violations included improper employee hand-washing, improper cleaning and sanitizing of food preparation surfaces and cross-contamination between raw meats and other prepared foods.

Tri-County Health Department and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment are urging anyone that ate at the restaurant after June 1 to contact their doctor or health care provider — especially if they developed diarrhea or suffered severe stomach pain, fever and vomiting within 10 days of eating at the restaurant.

The three individuals, a child and two adults, all tested positive for the bacterium after eating at the Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews, located at 799. W. 146th Ave. Two of the three individuals were hospitalized.

E. Coli symptoms can include severe stomach pain, fever, vomiting and diarrhea, often bloody. It can be especially dangerous for children, leading to a life-threatening condition called Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome and kidney damage and failure.

The bacteria can be passed from person-to-person when an infected person does not thoroughly wash their hands after using the toilet, after diapering, or before preparing food. Cross-contamination can occur if food preparation surfaces are not properly cleaned after contact with raw meat and then the same surface is used to prepare ready-to-eat foods.

Tri-County Health Department and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment are continuing to investigate the outbreak.

Comments

Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.